Sunday, September 18, 2005


Yesterday was emotionally and physically draining for everyone involved.

I started early, making sandwiches. Then I went to headquarters where I helped put the sandwiches into baskets, fill flasks and put milk, teabags, coffee and sugar into little jars. Then I went with my new friend (a retired lady who was roped in to organise the sandwiches) and fed and watered Labour scrutineers around the area.

This lady was awesome. She is retired and lives across the railway tracks, near St Pats. She is right into Science Fiction and her DVDs and she apologises for her language when she says blast.

Then I was back at headquarters. We were taking calls from people who needed rides to the polling station. We also rang people who were enrolled to vote but didn't vote last time and asked them if they needed rides. Nearly all of them had already voted (record turn out this year, because it was so close) and only one person actually yelled "and I voted National!" Cuddler. He can go and Cuddle himself.

Then I was taken up to another HQ because there was someone there who was going up to Levin for Darren's party that night and I needed a lift. Darren has only got his seat by 226 votes and Nathan Guy has demanded a recount. Grrrr....

So it will be weeks before the special votes are in, recounts are completed, a coalition deal is thrashed out and we know who will be leading the country. Although we only have one seat less than we did last time, National has gained to have almost the same amount at the expense of the smaller parties.

They also have a huge majority of the electorates. Check out the huge swing the the right.

2002: http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,13175,00.html
2005: http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,13174,00.html

Oh, the most embarrasing thing that happened to me: Judy Keall made me shake hands with her 5 or 6 times until I got it right. "Don't you ever present a shy limp hand to me again! We are equals." God she's scary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home